Gold Starry pens had a long history, starting with their introduction in France before 1912 as Conway Stewart licensed exports. By 1920 Gold Starry was its own company, producing very nice hard rubber eyedropper and safety pens.
Serious pen production started in the early 1920s with the return of non-essential industrial production after WWI, and the pens achieved French trademark status with the slogan “le stylo que marche” (the pen that works), which if nothing else describes the status of French pen manufacture at that time.
Lever fillers were introduced by 1927, and brightly colored celluloid by 1929. From then on, Gold Starrys were known as elegant, pricey pens that worked well. From the outset of WWII on, Gold Starry suffered, from their pricing, from carrying an English name, from the war, and then from the rise of ballpoints. Their final years were like those of many other fountain pen firms worldwide: diversification, cash crisis, and failure in 1980.